Post by Administrator on Dec 8, 2009 10:38:48 GMT 10
A French naval officer, Eugene Fichou, snapped this casual shot of a group of Castellorizian women arriving for a church service at the Cathedral of Sts Constantine & Helen in 1918.
Note the newly-married woman (centre-left), complete with bridal popazi (hat), being escorted by two other women in the centre of the second group. At rear is the girls' school or parthenagogeion and the bell tower of the Cathedral.
Post by Administrator on Nov 8, 2011 13:03:20 GMT 10
Another photograph from the same collection, also taken on this Sunday in 1918. This time the photographer has captured the procession of an icon in the avlogyro (church forecourt) of the Cathedral of Sts Constantine & Helen:
Holding the icon are, from left to right, Archimandrite Konstandinos Papastefanou and priest Vartholomeos Pissas. Further right stand priests Theodosios Simonides and Ioannis Kisthinios.
The walling that once connected the church of St Spyridon (rear centre) with the church of the Panaghia (rear right) is also evident.